Saturday, August 1, 2009

Arrival to Jordan

Susan and I are finally in Jordan for my one year of ICT. We've been talking about it for so long that it's a bit surreal that it's finally here. We are very glad to be nearly done traveling and living out of suitcases, and Susan is especially excited to get to decorate our new home.

I'll write more about Jordan and our first few days in a later post, but I did want to get out two quick thoughts:

First, EVERYONE in Jordan smokes, and they smoke everywhere. Even in the 'non-smoking' airport. Smoking was very prevalent in Korea, much more so than the US, but nothing like it is here in Jordan. I realize that I've been taking the lack of smoke in the US for granted, and the fact that smokers actually follow the posted rules and use the designated smoking areas.

Second, I've noticed a distinct lack of culture shock here. Maybe it's because I've already been to Iraq, and I know what a Middle Eastern country looks and feels like. Maybe it's because I've been around the language and culture for a year at DLI, and so it doesn't really feel 'foreign'. Either way, it adds up to an underwhelming arrival here, which isn't nessecarly a bad thing. Instead of being surprised or awed by the fact I'm in the Middle East, I can get right down to improving my language and engaging with the culture and issues here in Jordan...and learn how to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment